There are a dozen or so positive SEO Google ranking factors related to keywords that you need to keep in mind when optimizing your website for search engines. When you tweak your website, you should consider all of these factors.
What’s important to remember though is that the SEO trends are suggesting that keywords, while still crucial for any website that wants to get more traffic from search engines, are making way to more user-centric ranking factors.
Here’s a concise keyword check list for when you tweak your website, sorted according to the importance Google gives each factor.
• Your main keyword is in the URL, preferably as the first word. If you can’t put it as the first word, put it as the second, or as the third, etc.. What’s crucial is that it appears in the URL.
• Your main keyword appears in the domain name. This is not always possible with key phrases. Even so, try to put in at least one of the keywords.
• Your keyword is in the title tag, near the beginning. You can use up to 60 characters for the title tag.
• Your keyword is in the description meta tag. While Google no longer gives much weight to this tag, there are signs that it still uses it to ascertain the theme of the content.
• Your keyword is in the keyword meta tag. Make sure each word appears at least once in the body text. SEO trends show that Google doesn’t give much weight to this tag these days, but other search engines still do.
• Your keyword has a density in the body text that doesn’t exceed 3%. The density percent seems to vary with the topic. 3% is considered as the average by many, but 1% or 2% are often preferred. The rule is to use keywords naturally throughout the text body. SEO trends suggest that it’s better to have too few keywords rather than too many.
• Your keyword appears in the h1, h2, and h3 tags.
• Your keyword matches the keyword order in the query.
• Your keyword appears in alt text, describing the attached image.
• Your keyword appears, from time to time, as a link to other web pages. It’s uncertain whether Google places any weight on this.
When using keywords to optimize your content for search engines always keep an eye on the latest SEO trends, to discover which SEO practices are outdated. An established provider of expert SEO services can help you with this.